Contact us

Tel: +30 210 3613379
Tel: +41 32 5101465


  • Aviation

    ELC pioneered the liberalisation from the monopoly of air transportation related services in Greece, while also creating the foundation for the current ground services at the Athens International Airport and the other large airports throughout the country.

    Eurolegal - Aviation
  • Finance and tax

    In cooperation with certified accountants and tax consultants nationally and internationally, we can help you to sort out your finance assessment and make sure you can dispose of a proper evaluation of assets and of circumstances.

    Eurolegal - Finance and tax
  • General business law

    We are assisting in the creation of dozens of firms of different types for a variety of business purposes. We can help you to set up a proper structure according to your needs and assist you with a holding structure or an acquisition even on a small scale.

    Eurolegal - General business law
  • High technology

    We are very active in providing legal assistance to new expanding sectors of High Technology. One of the world's most prestigious manufacturers of super computers and specialized applications, Silicon Graphics International, turned to us for all necessary legal coverage in the country.

    Eurolegal - High technology
  • Labour law

    We feel it and we deal with it as very, very sensitive! Through our organised strategy we have proved successful in finding solutions that save our clients time and money.

    Eurolegal - Labour law
  • Intellectual property

    Whether you would simply like a check on the registration of a trademark or you wish to register a name, design or patent in Greece, Europe or even Worldwide, our experience and organisation can help you efficiently.

    Eurolegal - Intellectual property
  • Private and family law

    When your private life gets complicated, ELC can help. We have dealt with many cases and know how to find the best solutions offered in Greece and around the world.

    Eurolegal - Private and family law
  • Real estate

    Dozens of land and property buyers have entrusted us with their significant investments. From negotiating to contract preparation and registration, we take care of all your paperwork from A to Z.

    Eurolegal - Real estate

Welcome to the European Legal Consultancy

For comprehensive legal services... think ELC

ELC is one of an exciting new breed of law firms, combining local expertise with an international network of like-minded professional associates.

ELC has extensive legal experience across a broad range of sectors. We offer multi-lingual capabilities to compliment our wide range of specialist services for both commercial enterprises and private individuals. After many years of work and experience, ELC has created a solid, worldwide clientele.

We embrace cutting edge technology which keeps us up-to-date and links us seamlessly with all major domestic and international institutions - including bailiffs, court registrars, international organisations and the European Commission - but we never forget the importance of regular face-to-face meetings.

Our pricing is fully inclusive, honest, and transparent, with no hidden extras.

We are happy to offer you an initial consultation and quotation completely free of charge. Contact us now to find out more about how we can help.

Your visit to this web site and our exchange of correspondence do not imply acceptance by our Law firm to handle or to defend your case.

Acquisition of a holiday home in Switzerland by foreigners or non residents

I.   Introduction

The Federal Act on the Acquisition of Real Estate by Persons Abroad (LFAIE; SR 211.412.41), also known as the Lex Koller, is a law which aims to limit the acquisition of real estate by persons domiciled outside the country in order to "prevent foreign ownership of Swiss soil".

This law varies according to the type of residence permit, the country of origin and the place of residence. Its operation is therefore complex. Moreover, the law changes according to the type of use one wants to make of it: secondary residence, main residence or holiday home. Foreign investors are not entitled to acquire residential property, but are still allowed to invest in commercial, craft and subsidised property.

The acquisition of a property subject to the authorisation regime requires the granting of an authorisation by the competent cantonal authority (art. 2, para. 1, LFAIE). Thus, the application of this law is first and foremost the responsibility of the canton in whose territory the property is located. It is the competent authority designated by the canton in question that decides whether a legal act is subject to authorisation and whether authorisation should be granted (art. 15, para. 1, letter a, FL). Authorisation is granted only on the grounds set out in the FL and, where applicable, in cantonal law (Art. 3, 8 and 9 FL).

II.  Conditions

In principle, three cumulative conditions must be met for a legal transaction to be subject to the authorisation regime:

- The purchaser must be a person abroad within the meaning of the FL (subjective liability).

- The object of the legal transaction must concern a property that is subject to taxation under the FL (objective taxation according to the use of the property).

- The acquired right must be assimilated to an acquisition of real estate under the FL (objective liability according to the type of right).

Even if these three conditions are fulfilled, further exceptions to the obligation to obtain authorisation in accordance with Art. 7 FL may apply.

III.   Persons abroad

The Lex Koller defines persons abroad in art. 5 para. 1 let. a and abis FL (supplemented by art. 2 OFL). These are foreigners domiciled abroad and foreigners domiciled in Switzerland, but who are not nationals of a member state of the European Community (EC) or the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), nor do they possess a valid C settlement permit.

This regime also applies to companies with headquarters abroad even if they are Swiss-owned and considered to be Swiss from an economic point of view.

IV. Holiday accommodation

A foreigner subject to authorisation may acquire a flat in an aparthotel or holiday home (Art. 9, paras. 2 and 3, and Art. 10 FL). The location of the accommodation must be designated as a tourist area by the canton in question. Each authorisation is subject to the annual quota allocated by the Confederation to the canton for holiday homes and flats in an aparthotel (art. 11 FL, art. 9 OFL and Annex 1 OFL), although there is an exception if the authorisation for the acquisition of this home or flat had already been obtained by the seller at the time.

Quota units may also be transferred to non-taxable persons to enable the sale of dwellings to foreign nationals (so-called "de principe" authorisations). Consequently, individual purchases by foreign nationals still require authorisation, but no longer have to be counted in the quota. Cantons and tourist municipalities may impose restrictions. For example, they may decide to block a location completely, or allow the purchase of multi-storey properties and only up to a certain quota, or limit the annual number of permits, or restrict the purchase of dwellings that are already in foreign hands (Art. 13 FL).

The following cantons allow the purchase of a holiday home or flat in an aparthotel: Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Bern, Fribourg, Glarus, Graubünden, Jura, Lucerne, Neuchâtel, Nidwalden, Obwalden, St. Gallen, Schaffhausen (only for flats in an aparthotel), Schwyz, Ticino, Uri, Valais and Vaud.

Holiday homes cannot be rented out on a year-round basis, but can only be rented out on a short-term basis. The purchaser must be able to use the accommodation himself in accordance with the purpose for which he has applied. The flats in a hotel apartment must be left at the disposal of the hotelier so that he can operate them as a hotel, especially during the high season (Art. 10, letter b, OAIE).

According to Art. 8 OAIE, holiday homes can only be acquired by natural persons directly in their own name; indirect acquisition of a home through a legal entity is not possible.

In principle, according to Art. 10, paras. 2 and 3, OAIE, the net floor area of a property may not exceed 200 m2 and the plot area 1,000 m2 (Art. 10, paras. 2 and 3, OAIE). In accordance with established practice, in the event of additional need, up to 250 m2 of net floor area and 1,500 m2 of plot area may be permitted, and in exceptional cases, higher excesses.

Mizgin CADIR, Alain AGUPYAN & Cassandra JOCHUM



  • Slide 01
  • Slide 02
  • Slide 03
  • Slide 04
  • Slide 05
  • Slide 06